Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Mobile Madness

I was filling the car with petrol today when my mobile phone rang. This is actually a rare event for me. My mobile phone can go for weeks without being used once. It's basically there for emergencies only.

I figured this was a fairly important call so with one hand on the pump, I answered the phone. This prompted other motorists to call out at me and point to the signs indicating that mobile phones were not to be used at the pumps.

Yes, believe it or not, in Australia the oil companies have been fooled by the internet hoax and have put up "no mobile phone" signs at petrol stations across the nation. We have all heard the story that fires in petrol stations have been started by mobile phones. But where?

This is where the problem arises. There have been several groups that have investigated this urban legend such as
Australia's ABC television, Discovery Channel Myth Busters and the internet based SNOPES.

So, what do you do in this situation? I just smiled and waved at the people and continued my phone call. When I got inside to pay for the fuel, the following conversation took place.

Register Attendant (RA): "Don't you realise how dangerous it is to be on the phone when filling up your car?"

Me: Why? What's so dangerous about it?

AR: "It could create a spark and make the petrol vapours explode in flames"

Me: "That's an old internet hoax. It has been researched through fire brigade and police records all over the world and there has not been one confirmed report of a mobile phone starting a fire."

AR: "You're kidding!"

Me: "I kid you not. It's a hoax, it's been investigated and no records of any fire exist. Give me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy of the details."

There have been newspaper reports that blame mobile phones for a petrol station fires, but the investigations later clear the phone as the ignition source.

Mobile phones and petrol stations do mix. So next time you're at the petrol pump and your mobile phone starts ringing, don't panic. It is safe to answer the call.

4 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger SquidGal said...

I know it may seem hard to believe but my son's father, who I am not married to thank goodness, did set himself on fire at a petrol station as you call it. It was cold, so he instered the nozzle, flipped down the latch to let the gas flow, and reentered his truck. When he got out of his truck it created a spark and he set himself on fire. There are fire and police reports that involve six witnesses - two of whom helped put out the fire.

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Shanghai-ed said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Kevin Paine said...

There are recorded instances of a petrol station fire under the circumstances described by Donna.

But in each case the cause of the fire was determined to be static electricity. Although these are rare, it is best to remain outside the vehicle to reduce the chance of this occurring.

As for mobile phones causing fires. Still no evidence.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger super social influencer said...

No fires - cancer the verdict is out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home